Fifty Shames of Earl Grey: A Parody - Fanny Merkin;Andrew Shaffer

I finally got around to read the Fifty Shades parody ‘Fifty Shames of Earl Grey' by Fanny Merkin (I admit I'm too lazy to look up his actual name right now).

Yes, I know there are probably more parodies of the fifty shades book out there than there are blogs about how bad Twilight is but bear with me for a moment.

I have no idea how closely this parody follows up with the actual Fifty shades plot since I only read the first book and part of the second. Let’s pretend it does stick to the ‘original’ in at least about which events happen.

What I liked in this book was how the author actually called out how dumb everything is THROUGH the characters. Anna sometimes questioned Earl’s weird behaviour and also at one point tells him that his ‘fifty shames’ are actually quite alright and normal and don’t make him special at all. She also calls Earl out on the 100+ page quiz he gives her to answer about her sexual preferences (in the fifty shades books: that infamous contract) among other things.
Since this is a parody lots of things are extremely ridiculous. Not-Jacob (called ‘Jin’ in this one) for example is a huge brony, Anna’s roommate is a student in her thirties who is always drunk or on drugs, Anna herself has a ‘guidette’ as her inner voice (though less vocal and less annoying than in fifty shades) instead of an ‘inner goddess’. And so on. (Also, Earl’s stalkerish behaviour is so extreme that it perfectly calls out the romanticising of creep bullshit like his.)

Most of the tims I as just thinking ‘wow, this dumb … but the original was worse’.