Interview With The Vampire - Anne Rice

[Originally posted on tumblr on 5. February 2013]

I put off writing about the books I read recently for a while now. Let’s start with 'Interview With The Vampire' by Anne Rice.
Well. Let’s just say that story is probably what you’d expect from an old vampire. I mean, that the narrative sometimes strays, that the main character has some philosophical thoughts that he works into the story he tells. Of course the way he tells it would’ve worked better if it wasn’t for the fact that this is supposed to be an interview. It’s too ‘written’. Too ‘writer’-ish, less ‘dialogue’-ish.
Some years ago I read about how Anne Rice has a way of describing things that put off some people. I can see now what they meant. This is the first book by her I read so I can’t say anything about her general writing style, it’s just that one description in the beginning of the book actually made me laugh:
“The vampire was utterly white and smooth, as if he were sculpted from bleached bone, and his face was as seemingly inanimate as a statue, except for two brilliant green eyes that looked down at the boy intently like flames in a skull.”
Apart from this sentence being ridiculously long - flames in a skull? Really? I can’t exactly explain why I thought this was funny but … yeah.

I think the most complicated character in this book was Claudia. Oh, poor Claudia. She had to go through quite some things. I mean, imagine having to stay in the body of a child forever. Even human kids can’t wait to grow up. Sure, she was cruel as hell but at least she actually showed Louis that she felt something for him, unlike Lestat (at least at first).
Btw, the romance: I liked how the vampires actually ‘love’. They are attracted in a non-sexual way (they got no body fluids, remember?) which is very appealing to me because in my opinion romantic attraction isn’t ultimately linked to sex.
Btw, body fluids: … although it says in the beginning of the book how Louis lost his body fluids, he’s still able to cry and (if I remember correctly) sweat? Huh.

Also, Louis was sometimes really annoying but I do wonder what happened to him after the first book. /:
I actually got the first four books of this series in a box set so I’ll read ‘The Vampire Lestat’ sooner or later.