Wächter des Morgen (Wächter-Saga, #5) - Christiane Pöhlmann, Sergej Lukianenko, Sergei Lukyanenko

[originally posted on tumblr on 25. August 2013]

I finished Sergei Lukyanenko’s newest addition to the ‘Watch’ saga, from what I gather this will probably be called ‘New Watch’ in the English edition, the German translation is called ‘Wächter des Morgen’. (Since I have no idea how the Others call themselves in the watches the English version I have troubles trying to translate this title. Plus, because it sort of looks like wonky grammar in the title I have the idea that this is somehow means ‘guardian of tomorrow’ instead of ‘guardian of dawn’ or is maybe some sort of clever double-title that looks rather horrible.)
ANYWAY.

The book overall is about prophecies this time. I took the time to think about the books some more and I figured out that they are all pretty much the author showing off the world to the reader while the main character has some adventure. Of course there’s nothing wrong with it, it’s only that you sort of get one thing at a time. So, over the course of 5 books you get introduced into the world of the ‘Others’, magicians, witches, vampries, shapeshifters and so on. The main appeal of this series for me was how the people who served the light were by no means ‘the good ones’ but as well creatures who took advantage of normal humans. Also, the magic system is quite appealing, although during a battle it’s simply people standing in front of each other with their magic shields up and them trying to bash each other’s head in with some more magic.
Anyway, I think the main character is past his date of expiry already because ever since he became more powerful, his struggles became a bit less interesting. Maybe that’s just me, but only having morale problems and ‘I have to play detective while my superior plays a Merlin archetype character’ isn’t really all that interesting to me.
Okay, we get a real troublesome fellow in this book because that’s the twilight itself attacking people for something and yet… the sense of immediate danger never quite comes across.
Like I said in my previous post about this book: The story is split into three story arcs.
The first story is about the discovery of a prophet and the so called ‘tiger’ hunting after him. This is to prevent him from people learning about his so called ‘main prophecy’ which will only come true when humans hear it. They figure out how to avert a tragedy and the light has a new prophet.
The second story is the main character, Anton’s investigation of how the prohpet Erasmus Darwin could evade the twilight and manage not to be killed when he was about to speak his main prophecy. Anton then runs into the witch Arina (she was one of the important characters from the fourth book) who also investigates prophecies and lets himself be carted off to Taiwan because of a case of the twilight ‘tiger’ being fend off.
The third story is simply about Anton figuring out all the prophecies (except the taiwanese one) and trying not to die. There you go.

One thing that I probably didn’t notice in the other books but I’m sure is there is the main character pondering about Russian societe as it is at the time the book was written at. It’s sort of the author’s critique. Of course for me, as someone who lives in Central Europa and also in a rather rich country with no severe society problems this is a bit hard to understand. Not hard to imagine but also not easy to understand. Another thing is that the main character so suddenly starts pondering about things that it takes you out of the story. Not all of sudden but rather it slows down at some point.
Maybe to me the author lost his touch a little but I can see that this work is important to him. Although it’s urban fantasy which at least doesn’t require a massive amount of world-building, the magic system is very detailed in this books. The author really thought about where the magic comes from, why the ‘Others’ can use it and so on. You get little explanation here and there about these things. It’s hard to say if there will be another book - maybe if the author finds something else to explain. Anyway, some re-occuring characters were a bit … exhausted in this book. Especially Geser (the main character’s boss).

Well, I’m between liking the book and not being sure about reading any more of the author’s books. Also his misinformations about women were coming through again.