The Fault in Our Stars - John Green

[Originally posted on tumblr on 17. June 2013]

So, ‘The Fault in our Stars' by John Green. The most negative critique I heard so far before I actually read the book was that the characters didn't talk like teenagers and so on.
Let me tell you something.
I had a friend when I was still in school who made her characters talk like that. Technically speaking, she talked like that. On paper. So it’s not a valid argument that there are no teenagers who don’t talk like the teenagers in ‘The Fault in our Stars’. I don’t know if this is a John Green thing or a ‘characters who are close to death’ sort of thing.
Okay, so did I like it? Yes, yes, yes. I mean, it was a bit awkward because like I said - that friend I had also sort of wrote like that. So I pretty much see John Green’s writing style in Tfios as one of a philosophical teenager. Sorry, Nerdfighters but we all see things differently. I still associate Joghurt with Panic! At the Disco for some reason. The human brain is a funny thing.

Is this book overrated? Maybe! It’s sort of a thing everyone has to decide for themself. I mean, I figured out so far that the thing about reading a popular book has something to do with expectations. If you expect a book to be good and if it’s not as good as you think it is then you have to expect to be disappointed. Sorry. It’s hard, I know.

This book is pretty much about about two teenagers dying. Well, that and falling in love and being super wordy about their thoughts on the world.
I have to admit, some quotes from the book sound good when you read them. ‘Pain demands to be felt’ is sort of clever because it’s logical. You’re in pain because there’s something wrong. Maybe not with you but you feel pain because there is something that causes it. Pain demands to be felt because it is important to know that there are things that are wrong. Sometimes you can fix those things, sometimes you can’t.
And yeah, that’s my own interpretation.
Since John Green is on Tumblr there is probably sort of a chance that he sees this post. Or probably not. I don’t know. I also want to add that I’m not a ‘nerdfighter’ (I thought that was sort of important because I still don’t really know what a nerdfighter does and I’m honestly not all that interested either).