The Name of the Wind  - Patrick Rothfuss

[Originaly posted on tumblr on 7. February 2013]

‘The Name of the Wind' by Patrick Rothfuss is one of those books that already had me wonder if I would like it or not before I even read it. The thing is you'll stumble over many different reviews about this book online. The majority of people who read it either hates it or loves it. I didn't know what to expect.

The most important thing first: I really liked Denna. I only figured out today that the author actually identifies himself as a feminist and I think it really shows in the novel when it comes to Denna. Though the description the main character gives of her at first puzzled me a little because it does seem a bit shallow if the first thing the protagonist says about the person who is probably the love of his life is “she’s beautiful” without commenting about her personality. Then again, we get to know her better along the way so the author makes up for this not so great introduction.

Kvothe himself is one of those characters on the verge of being too perfect. Even with his great skills he sometimes fails and that’s good and there are times when he has the worst of luck. Still, he makes it out quite well of many situations. His childhood story is very tricky, though he doesn’t dwell on it wherever he goes and that balances it out very well in my opinion.

All in all I really enjoyed reading this book and I will get myself the second book sometime this year. There were some parts where the writing was a bit “too much” for my taste when it comes to descriptions but it’s nothing that would make me stop reading. The worldbuilding is great in this book and considering that the author spent a massive amount of years on making up this world this is not surprising at all. (For example: The main character even gives you an overview of etiquette of different parts of the world when it comes to kissing the hand of a woman as a greeting.) It’s also nice that different folks in this story believe into different things. So yeah, I think this is a great book and I’m glad I finally read it.

(Also, though there are not many female characters in this book they actually don’t act as decoration. But I guess in this book are more female characters than in most books in this corner of the Fantasy genre.)